Saturday, February 10, 2007

repeat track

When he woke up, she had left already.
It was late and he was hung over.
She'd taken most of her stuff and didn't tell him what was going on with her. He was nervous.
There were dishes in the sink and a note explaining that she'd be busy that morning, but she'd be back later to cook, and as recommended, she'd apologize by way of some romantic music.
He let himself be scanned.
The analyst recommended that he explain his decision to Brian.
It explained that Josh had let other people control his decisions too much, and needed to assert himself more often; this was, according to the analyst, a good first step.
The analyst continued, reminding Josh that Emily's behavior was due to, according to its scan, her frustration with her own life, not his behavior.
He called Brian to invite him to the local Starbucks for some coffee.
Josh was confident.
They went to Starbucks, got some coffee, and sat down.
"You're my friend. So I have to say this. You're being a fucking idiot, man."
"I don't know what else to do. I've never known someone who made me feel that happy."
"Tell her no. She cheated on you."
"I can't care about that."
"Yeah, you do care about it. You're gonna think about it every time you're with her."
"I don't think so. I think I can grow from this and be a better person."
"Everybody says that."
"I know I can."
"Everybody. And they're wrong."
"I'm a smart man with good friends and people who'll be honest to me."
"We all just love you and have the best intentions towards you, just remember that."
"I really appreciate your advice, Brian."
"Just think about what I'm saying at least."
He left and went back to the apartment.
She was boiling pasta in the kitchen and had a Mountain Goats CD playing in the living room.
He turned on the TV and watched the weather for a few minutes, then flipped through HBO and the Sundance Channel, not stopping for more than a few seconds on anything.
He picked up the guitar and tried to play a song, but it was too loud.
"Could you turn that down?" he asked quietly. No one answered.
He picked up the phone and started looking through the Caller ID.
He then went over to the computer and checked through the browser's log of visited sites.
He didn't look through her belongings this time.

2 comments:

RuKsaK said...

great bit of dialogue - I really enjoyed that. Am linking you. Not just because you're a good writer, but you also read The Exile which deserves much credit.

adam said...

Thank you. Linked back.