Saturday, September 1, 2007

deva

She was at a reception in September.

Her professors, TAs, and classmates from a few classes last semester were there too.

Everyone looked normal; teeth straightened, breasts lifted but not augmented, limbs and torsos slimmed down or fattened up as wished.

One man grabbed his nose and ran into the changing room for fifteen minutes.

Deva was spotted.

“Hey there, Sara. How's it going?”
“Oh, great. We've got the next Context screening planned, all the hardware needed, we should get a few by the end of the night. We're in the black by about ten thousand too, so that just proves how much we've been in line with the Priorities.”

“Wow, that's great. What's school like?”

“It's okay, I guess. It's a little boring, but Architectural History is fun. Looking at pictures all day. It's great."

"Yeah, you know you want me back.”

“Yeah, we'd love it, but if you're still feeling bored, you know the Tertiary Rule. 'Boredom is, uh,'”

“'Sign of Corruption.' And all Contexts must be free of all Signs, and it's willful violation to show up.”

“I don't want to talk about this, that's depressing. How's June and Tris?”
“Fine, I guess, probably back together again. Who cares.”

“All right, be boring. I've got to go talk to Heather and get the drugs ready for Context. Bye, hon.”

She wandered past the changing room to go outside.

There was gagging and choking from the changing room.

She looked out at the city.

The city was glowing orange.

The sky was black and it was still hot.

The air felt thick inside and outside.

She got a call.

“Hi, Mark, it's good to hear from you.”

“Did you say yes?”

“No, but I didn't say no, I don't know.”

“No one's coming to kill you, just go again. It's fun.”

“I don't know. I'm bored. It's like I'm having some kind of existential crisis or something. I just want something new to believe in.”

“Aren't you atheist?”

“I don't know, I don't see the point of believing sometimes, and sometimes I don't see the point of being atheist.”

“What are June and Tristan doing these days?”

“You know, people talk about that a lot, what's going on?”

“I think people just like hearing about drama, but Tristan's my friend.”

“I thought you hadn't spoken to him in months.”

There was crying from the changing room.

“I don't talk to my friends sometimes, but I still care.”

“You talk to me a lot. You talk a lot in general.”

“To you, yeah, but I slept with you, you're a special and unique person.”

“That's sweet, I can tell you care.”

“Well, I hope you feel better, I've got to go.”

A man walked out of the changing room laughing.

He threw away a handful of napkins soaked red.

Back in the party, Deva heard Sara talking.

“...to overcome self-doubt and embrace success. You believe in God, you said, God believes in you, and wants you...”

No comments: